I NEED TO DO MORE WITH LESS
... even though I now have fewer resources
It's Not So Easy To Put More Hours In the Day
It is never easy to do more with less, and certainly there are not more hours in the day. However, it is usually very easy to more than you think you can by looking to the entire team for solutions. Recent economic conditions have put nearly every organization under intense financial stress. Most have been forced to reduce spending or curtail other discretionary activities to meet the crisis head on.
Sometimes Doing More with Less Is the Norm
One area where needing to more with less is the norm, is when organizations merge together. Prior to the merger, both organizations were fully occupied with their own knitting. After the merger, they typically have their previous work load, as well as the workload associated with making the merger work.
What is needed in these situations it to reach out in a Side by Side way to those around you to see if there are better solutions to the challenge. In reality, the only way to access synergistic solutions is with this outreach-oriented approach. Here are some thought-provoking questions to give you ideas on how to approach a "do more with less" situation.
- What organizations outside my normal network of contacts could help my organization achieve its visionary goals?
- Which people outside my organization could help my organization achieve its visionary goals?
- What people or resources, if I partnered with them, would help my organization or team achieve better results?
- In what ways could my internal and external customers be considered allies who could help my team or organization achieve its visionary goals?
- What people or organizations outside my normal network of contacts could block progress toward my goals? How can I turn them into allies?
- Have you pull together a group of co-workers to conduct a Structured Teamwork® brainstorming work session.
Action You can Take Today
If you recognize the need to do more with less in your situation, you may find the award winning book Side By Side Leadership helpful. It gives well researched and field tested solutions this this and other problems. If you are looking for more effective teamwork, and want to avoid the risks of your team spinning out of control, then you may find the acclaimed book Breakthrough Teamwork helpful for your situation. At a minimum, we hope that you will give us your thoughts and comments. We are always excited to hear what people think. Here at Side By Side, Inc, we are committed to delivering leadership training and materials that deliver real bottom line results.